Tuesday 6 October 2015

Music with videos and videos with music

First, watch this music video from Madonna and then watch this music video from David Bowie.

We were told to analyze how gender influence the representation of the artist and are were likely to discuss about these artists in the same terms?

Of course the gender influences a lot how the artists are represented but I think the music genre matters even more. Even if David Bowie was still hot and in good shape I wouldn't want to see him rolling on his back on the floor or dancing if the music is like that. We live in a world were pop songs include ether sex or super cuteness. Number one rule is you have to be attractive. 

I can't think even one female artists that is ugly. That may be because I'm not that into music but for some reason I doupt there are too many of them. I don't think Madonna and David Bowie are discussed in same terms, after all the music is different and they represents different things. I don't know what Davie Bowie is about but Madonna is pretty much some kind of Pop Queen? Pop Icon? 


For my textual analysis I chose Franz Ferdinand's song "Evil eye". I honestly don't know what genre that is. Wikipedia told me that they are Scottish rock band? Their genres include : Indie Rock, post-punk revival(whatever that is), dance-rock, dance-punk and art rock? Let's believe Wikipedia on this one. I would have said Rock-pop since that's my answer to everything.





What kind of world view this video is giving? My head is pretty confused at the moment. Before this task I had never seen the music video. I never imagined it would be like that. When I just listened to the song I thought it was about how sometimes you get mad with people and they manage to bring the worst out of you. And sometimes some people just hate you for what you are but that's life and better take other people down before they destroy you down. Instead of believing in higher power we just have to live with our shitty lives. I didn't imagine worms with popcorn or bloody murders and other violent stuff.


Uh, some people get a freak out of me
Some people can see that I can see
Some people want to see what I see
Some people put an evil eye on me



What I think these lyrics mean is that there are always some people who won't understand you and then there are people who think alike with you and are similar. Some people are just jealous and want what you have or then they just hate you. To me the song has always been about different kind of people and what they bring out of you. There are lot of things you can decode out of this song but I like to keep it simple. So yes, it's about people and how sometimes there is no other way than to get mad at them so you can survive.


1 comment:

  1. Wow indeed that video was disturbing. The song is catchy and odd, but it's not bad. though the video does disturb me. It's very weird how stereotypes in music play a strange roll here. If we generalize that "all metal is aggressive and disturbing" then, as i like metal music, this should have been a piece of cake to me. but then again i like the other kind of metal. hahaha although i do have to admit that "Mr torture" by Helloween has funky lyrics, but is catchy too.

    ReplyDelete