Wednesday 14 October 2015

Comic industry what are you doing

You can thank other media course I'm doing at the moment for this post. Our job was to make a research on subject of our interest and I chose eComics. Downloading comics and reading them from your computer or phone isn't new thing anymore, but is it destroying printed comics?

After short research it seemed quite clear to me that is not the case. Quite opposite actually. Digital comics have chance to prove themselves being useful if the industry managed to develop some things. For example the pricing is ridiculous. You would think that since there will be no costs from shipping or printing the price would be cheaper. That's not the case at the moment. Only small part of comics are cheaper when you buy them digitally.
They might be scared of losing profits if people can buy comics cheaper online but I think they worry for nothing. Most of the comic book fans are collectors. You are proud of your comics and you want to be able to show them off. Cheap digital released would just help them to get more readers. Usually when people get hooked they will start buying other merchandises too.

I also found one interesting article here. It had lot of good points. I don't really care about rivalry thing going between Marvel and Image comics. But what I could agree with is that Marvel has lot of characters people love more than anything. Only problem are the story lines which are super confusing. I like reading Marvel comics but I would lie if I said I always understand what is happening in them.
You read one good story and get all happy just to soon to be disappointed when they start over and all that has happened is wiped out. I feel mad that they keep destroying great characters and good story lines just so they can get a little bit more money. Even though, honestly sometimes you are just happy that the story line gets erased. Writers keep making crazy stuff up to get people interested. It's just like soap opera!

So instead of worrying about losses you might get from digital publishing we should really start helping companies like Image comics to keep making comics with reasonable stories and good characters! It shouldn't be all about money. Most people don't start making comics just because they want to get rich. I can't imagine worse plan to get rich that being a comic artist. Where do we go wrong?











No comments:

Post a Comment