Sunday 13 September 2015

Textual analysis what?!

This week we got to read this article about textual analysis. First I was little confused by the meaning of it. But then I realised that textual analysis just means that you analyse the game by thinking what kind of meaning it is sending, or how it represents for example cultural politics.

Your role as a player in video games can affect the meaning in lot of different ways. Some things may have cultural meaning to others and for somebody else it may be just a pretty statue on background.

Like in every part of media you can find meaning behind everything and since video games are slightly different from for an example fashion ad, there's many new things to analyse.

There is written story, music, enviroment, characters, animation, and effects. All the little details might have some significant meaning. For example do you ever think how the movement of your character affects your opinion of it? I find slowly or heavily moving characters really annoying to play and might not enjoy some game as much as I could because of that.

Batman Arkham Asylum is a game that has very clear theme for me. It's dark and mysterious. From the very first moment it's clear that you are the detective. It's like the game is trying to make you feel like the batman himself. There are lot of objects and side quests you can do, and they have lot more meaning if you know something about Batman series before you play the game.

I think the enviroment, characters and story represent the dark theme pretty well. No matter where you go all you can see is destruction and victims of Joker or some other villain. All villains look like they have run out of asylum, which they actually have.

Here is screenshot from Batman Arkham asylum:



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the decadent theme of the game is very well managed with the environments, I haven't played the game, but at least from the picture and your description, it does catch the essence of what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly the same when I first read the task! When I heard about that batman game I was like maan I'd like to try that one out! Too bad I don't even own a TV eheh. And also I would probably shit my pants if it's too dark and scary.

    ReplyDelete